Trustees and directors of the Foundation are selected for their distinguished achievements in business, industry, and the professions and for their commitment to the advancement of the university; there are no political appointments. While many trustees and directors are from Western New York, an increasing number of them reside in other areas of the country.
Trustees and directors provide advice and counsel to the university on a broad range of issues and help interpret the needs of the university to the larger political and business communities. In addition, the trustees and directors:
- Appoint the officers of the Foundation
- Establish the Foundation's operating and investment policies
- Approve all budgets and major expenditures of the Foundation
- Ensure gifts are used in strict accordance with the wishes of the donor
- Provide a long-term vision based on many diverse perspectives, extending beyond the outlook and tenure of any one individual